Volcanic Contrasts (15 days)
€1,250 – €2,485
Discover volcanic insular landscapes. From complete relaxing under the palm trees on a beach to active volcanic and mountain walks. This trip is especially interesting if you have nothing against a bit of bathing and “doing nothing”, but you also search for a more physically active type of relaxation.
If you have always wanted to see or even climb an active volcano up close, you will have a great time on this trip. The Pico de Fogo is one of the most active volcanoes in the world. Uprising fumaroles and ocasional sulfur smell remind us of the activity of this fire-breathing giant.
The first week is spent in the north of the island of Santiago at the Hotel Kingfisher in Tarrafal. The hotel has direct access to a great bathing and snorkeling bay. On clear days, you will be able to see directly from your large terrace on the horizon the contours of the neighboring island of Fogo with its picture book volcano. The famous sandy beach of Tarrafal is a 10-minute walk from Kingfisher.
On a hike in Serra Malagueta National Park, you can see for yourself the fertility of volcanic soil. The bizarre rock formations and mountain chains point to former volcanic activities on the island of Santiago.
The second week is marked by the 2,829-meter-high volcano Pico de Fogo. Before heading up to the volcano in Chã das Caldeiras, spend two days in the small town of São Filipe with its long black sandy beach.
On an island tour, you will learn about other typical volcanic landscapes. On the third day, we head up to Chã das Caldeiras. The friendliness of the people there will surely draw you in their spell.
The two villages of Bangueira and Portela, which were situated there, were, unfortunately, largely destroyed at the outbreak of November 2014.
The ascent to Pico de Fogo is the highlight of this trip. The descent over a 1,000-meter-long ash field compensates for the partly strenuous ascent. The still fresh crater of the last eruption smolders into the ever-blue sky of Fogo.
This trip is perfect for those who like to combine bathing holidays and active recreation and also want to experience the Creole culture.
As with all our trips, we have taken care in the planning to make sure no stress occurs. All transfers, flights and ferry connections are provided with sufficient time buffers. You have time after arrival and before departure to relax and acclimatize.
- 2 domestic flights (RAI-SFL, SFL-RAI)
- 6 nights including breakfast in 1 apartment with outdoor kitchen in the hotel Kingfisher in Tarrafal
- 2 nights including breakfast in 1 DBL at Casa Beiramar in São Filipe
- 2 nights incl. Half board in 1 DBL at Casa Marisa in Chã das Caldeiras
- 2 nights including half board in 1 DBL at the Tortuga B&B on the black beach of São Filipe
- 1 night including breakfast in 1 DBL at Hotel Limeira in Cidade Velha
- 1 day-use at Hotel Limeira on the day of departure
- 1 hike with guide in Serra Malagueta National Park
- 1 island round trip Fogo
- 1 ascent with guide to the Pico de Fogo and descent over the Pico 2014
- Transfers according to detailed program
- Detailed trip itinerary
- Soul Tours support via email and telephone
- * In case an accommodation is not available we will replace it with an equal alternative
Price: € 1,495.- p.p. (min. 2 persons)
Price for single travelers: € 2,485.-
All services as listed above but with the following accommodation:
- 1 DBL in the Tarrafal Residence, in Tarrafal
Price: € 1,250.- p.p. (min. 2 persons)
Price for single travelers: € 1,935.-